Monday, January 24, 2011

Speaking of Sports

The 100 best sports nicknames (explanations drawn mostly from Wikipedia), by way of the seattlepi.com bleacherreport.  It's a slideshow with 100 (of course) slides.  One might quibble with some of the nicknames (am I the only person who heard him called "Awesome Dawson" when he played in Montréal? And I suppose they did shorten it to "Fridge"), but it's fun finding out some athletes' real names.

I look forward to women athletes with cool nicknames.

ETA the link.

4 comments:

Gary Farber said...

You might find this of interest.

It's just a bunch of incoherent notes, but you might find some comments interesting. If you can access it. If you can't, and want to,let me know.

Ditto if you'd like anything deleted. I'd do so as soon as I saw such a message from you, though keep in mind that I am not, in fact, always in front of the computer.

Just saying.

Be well. Don't know if you saw my thanks for pointing out the broken link, but thanks again.

If you ever wish to catch up, you can find me at, well, you know how to reach me.

D. said...

I don't have a facebook account, and I'm not going to get one, so I can't access that link. (I have expressed misgivings about fb before and nothing I've heard since has changed my impression of fb to even marginally favorable. Short form being I don't like gated communities.)

If you have some way of my reading it without having to deal with fb, sure.

I do see Amygdala from time to time.

Gary Farber said...

D, did you try clicking the link? I know you're not on FB.

That doesn't mean the link won't work for you.

If it doesn't, I'd like to know. But it would be useful to me to know if you actually clicked it and it didn't work, or you assumed. I can't know otherwise.

FB privacy totally configurable, regardless of what you heard; software updated every day. Not a suggestion you join FB; merely noting that if you're not familiar with today's iteration on a particular server, you can't know, and neither can anyone else unless they're in a high technical position at FB. That's all.

Hmm, testing: if you google "Gary Farber" and "Harlan Ellison," together, I see "About 2,020 results." :-)

But for the moment, I'd be curious if that link works for you. You can email me, if you prefer, from some safe email address, or I can continue to use these smoke signals. :-) Let me know if there's a better way to communicate with you. :-)

Making blog posts just for you at Amygdala would not be one I'd follow, I'm afraid. ;-)

But I'm open to anything reasonable that works for you. Including just posting here and you deleting, whatever. I know you value your privacy, and I wish to respect all boundaries as best I can. Especially yours. (I may fail at times; I'm human, and highly imperfect.)

Whatever works for you, as you wish.

I don't like gated communities either.

And immensely dislike endless aspects of FB. Which is why I'm NOT recommending it to you, or to most anyone. An essay on pros and cons I'm not writing here, either. :-)

I also blog here, btw: http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/

Been writing there since 2003, but mostly in comments. But much more there in comments than ever at Amygdala; for the record. No pressure. Been Front Pager for a while. You probably know, just mentioning in case not; group blog. Interesting discussions, though that's subjective, of course.

Oh, and you may see me at Skippy. Partially because of you, but only partially, and you may not. Depends if his standing offer is still open, and we can work out something that works for my schedule/style.

best,
Gary

D. said...

Taking this to email.