Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Heh

Via skippy:  Conservative Christians (and young people in that culture) divorce more.
She said the paradox can be explained by the accelerated transition into adulthood and early marriages that young conservative Protestants practice.

Factors that lead to high rates of divorce among Christians are the prohibition of sex before marriage leading to marriage at an earlier age and teachings against abortion and birth control, which lead to “shotgun weddings,” she said.
I don't suppose Catholics were included in the study?

    3 comments:

    lisahgolden said...

    I wouldn't buy a car without driving it first.

    But really - these kids are sexually active no matter how conservative their families are. Their families encourage them to pair off, get serious, get married. College? Well, maybe. But it's not assumed like it is in other families.

    You get pregnant? You have that baby and probably get married.

    Early divorce? It would be a shock if it didn't happen. I was married at 22 and I think that was too young.

    D. said...

    Those darned hormones!

    (I occasionally think the optimal age for marriage is 35, but some people are actually mature earlier. Some people, of course, never mature.)

    Daisy Deadhead said...

    Now you know divorce is against Canon Law, unless you can figure out one of these lil buggers, and make it stick. (I managed to do it TWICE, which if you read it, really isn't that hard, especially if you were a documented druggie and all. It just takes YEARS, is the problem).

    But this should not be confused with REAL divorce. :D