Thursday, January 20, 2011

Remembering; History of Ballparks

[a partial repost]

Back in the summer of '63, my godmother, my mother, and the kids (I don't remember either Dad or my godmother's husband going on this trip, and I don't remember whether they were already divorced or if that was later) *gasp* drove up to *gasp* Hyannis, Massachusetts, for a vacation-like time. (Wait. Dad must have been there; Mom drove but she didn't normally do long distances.) Mom and Aunt J joked about repeating the Coué affirmation ("Every day in every way I am feeling better and better."), but that only lasted a day; we visited either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket (either trip required a ferry); we took pictures (with our Brownies) of the Honey Fitz on a day trip to Hyannisport, but of course President Kennedy wasn't there. On the way out of New York, we passed the Polo Grounds; that was the second and last time I saw the old ballpark.

It turns out that my brother-in-law actually saw a game played there. Unfortunately the game was football; before they were the Jets, the New York Titans took the field there.

So with that in mind, be it known that the 2010 World Champeens are bringing the World Series trophy to the old neighborhood in a couple of days, and the New York Times had someone write up a brief history of the Polo Grounds.

No comments: