Monday, January 3, 2011

Mumbling About Food

When I posted this, I hadn't realized anyone had thought more systematically about the subject.

From Restructure! via Daisy's Dead Air, an article on "Chinese" food as it is practiced in America (chop suey I knew about; General Tso's chicken, not so much).  (Remember the rule about only patronizing Chinese restaurants where Chinese people are a preponderance of the customers?  That's why.)

2 comments:

lisahgolden said...

Most of us wouldn't know authentic Chinese food if it bit us on the nose.

I'd probably like it more than what we call "Chinese" food. Which is okay, but nothing I really crave. Not even the sweet stuff.

D. said...

Hmmmm. There was Szechuan (now Sichuan) cuisine in the early '70s, which, when not five-alarm hot, was pretty tasty stuff that tasted not at all like the "Cantonese" stuff that was and sometimes is standard in older "Chinese" restaurants. Although probably not the same stuff you'd get in that region. (Cooled down, I bet.)