Don't hit that metaphoric snooze button, says Anna van Z, and adds supporting links to readersupportednews.org and FAIR.
LowerManhattanite on the departure from the Senate of Joe Lieberman:
I will not miss him, and neither will you. His bogus “moooooaaaaaawww-raaawwwwllll” nature will be an afterthought after countless afterthoughts before it. That passive-aggressive backstabbiness and craven ransom holding of votes that should have been simple-human-decency-based will not be thought of as ironic or crafty politicking, but rather as what they were—underhanded and self-serving. His migraine-inducing plays for integrity when confronted with his misdeeds, trotting out the sad, soggy old card of neo-cons everywhere—“I marched with Dr. King”—will absolutely not be missed. Real warriors of that time never have to bring that shit up out of context. Only post-mid-life-crisis ideological flip-floppers looking to cover their naked asses from rightful criticism work that mawkish angle out of the blue.Ron Patterson, co-founder of Renaissance Faire back in the day, has died.
3 comments:
Did you go back to the Peter Green era, or focus only the Buckingham/Nicks era?
Oh, mercy!!!
Most of the video stuff is with Buckingham & Nicks, of course, but there were a couple of "Behind the Music" type programs, one of which seemed to have disappeared everything between Peter Green and "when Bob Welch left the band,..." They (or a particularly studious fan) have a website with all sorts of stuff, in which I wallowed for a good hour or so. Mick Fleetwood has some kind of YouTube channel where he (occasionally with John McVie) plays with pick-up bands and talks about the past and is amazingly weird. Stevie Nicks was apparently interviewed by everyone in the known universe. Lindsey Buckingham is married with children, for reals! And Christine McVie tells such lovely stories--I hadn't realized she'd retired. Two-part harmony is not nearly as much fun. Bob Welch has a website, and apparently there was bad blood between him and the band in the '90s. He's retreated to Nashville. Really.
Fleetwood (and I hadn't quite known he was for a while George Harrison's brother-in-law--tiny world) is (from what I saw) incredibly protective of Peter Green. That was awful.
I have to wonder if the Spinal Tap people saw the pattern (lead guitarists "departing") and adapted it to drummers.
There was a Salon article about FM back in the '90s that no amount of Googling is bringing up.
I stumbled onto the Fleetwood Mac Rock Family Tree, which was fascinating. I must find it again.
(My history with FM, such as it is, goes back to the late '60s and *gasp* college radio and intermittent sightings thereafter. They were meant to be the picture next to the definition of "rock drama.")
George!!!! ((Pavlovian Beatlemania shriek, complete with hair-pulling and sobbing))) I had forgotten that too, but remembered it when you said it.
Nah, speaking of rock drama, nothing holds a candle to George and Eric (Clapton) being in love with Patti (Boyd) at the same time! Now that was some hot stuff. And they wrote such great songs about it all, too! (lol) But yes, a very close second indeed. (I think the song "The Chain" was about all that? Love that song!) There was a great Rolling Stone photo of everyone in the band sleeping w/everyone else, sorta recalling that famous "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" PR photo... I assume it was by Annie Leibovitz, due to the sheer wit of the photograph-staging.
After many decades of studying rock bands, I have concluded drummers are often strange people. I think the joke in the movie "Almost Famous" (about the gay drummer... who just happened to be British in an American band?) was likely a nod at Charlie Watts. At least, I can't think of who else it would be.
Post a Comment