Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mr. Stewart, I'm Borrowing Your Stare

Mr. Dave Stewart.  The pitcher.  His stare turned opposing batters, and any lingering basilisks, to stone.
  • Anna van Z of The Mills River Progressive on approaching economic nastiness:
    You've seen [...] a report of how China and Russia have effectively dumped the dollar for trade, and will be using their own currencies. I haven't heard anything on network news about it over the past couple of days, which strikes me as a tad remiss, to say the least.
    followed by an excerpt from Wayne Madsen of Op-Ed News:
    Four million Americans will put financial pressure on municipalities and state governments already facing bankruptcy. Unlike Iceland, Ireland, Greece, Portugal, and, to some extent, Spain, which have strong central government control, the United States is a federal republic and, as such, the collapse of the economy will be state-by-state and begin at the municipality level [...]
  • Ilyka reblogged Blackamazon's point-by-point rebuke of Sady's semi-sarcastic potted history of how Jezebel got to be considered a Feminist Go-To Blog even though it publishes some fairly anti-feminist stuff.  (I think I have snipped all the loose ends.)

    One point:
    These spaces often get high traffic, are profitable, and are rewarded with plentiful attention and praise, and the people who create spaces for feminist media but don’t do it for profit, or who do it for a profit that isn’t exactly profitable, join in the praise and support. They welcome those blogs.
    Bullshit and i call it. Women who have had a non capitalistic non white focus or popculture focus , see the articles and within HOURS are predicting and going what in the hot happy hell. The women praising are also WRITING for and at points heavily linked to these larger blogs which SURPRISE SURPRISE up their hit counts . SHOCKING AINT IT? These blogs (XX, jezebel etc. ) are quickly shown to be racist, heteronormative , transmisogynist, and CLUSTER BOMBS of entitlement. Due o the funny thing of the audiences not being well in an way shape form focused on improving women but getting women and anyone who is interested in women as a demographic
    For the record (or the CD or mp3. Whatever): Whenever my attention has been drawn to Jezebel, it has not been for a shining article on feminism/womanism. Just saying.

3 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

All my flailing away at the "feminist blogosphere" finally coalesced recently, when A Big Feminist Blogger I Actually Do Respect (really not interested in starting a feud with this person. She's insightful and I've greatly enjoyed her work, been linked by her more than once, et. al.) wrote a simple throwaway line stating: "Maybe its because I live in New York, but most guys I know shop on the internet and care about how they look"... and I suddenly felt all dizzy and strange. Again.

But really. It suddenly dawned on me in a major way, why I am often persona non grata in Feminist Blogdonia. I mean, its one of those things I know intellectually and have commented on at length, but that sentence took the breath out of me. It just came crashing home. Damn, I thought.

Most. Most?

1) Most guys she knows own computers;

2) Most guys she knows are comfortable (literate) enough with computers to find websites they like on the internet and do not struggle with the basics of getting from one site to another and back again, which means

3) Most guys she knows can afford good ISPs and don't have to use the local library or various friends' computers;

4) Most guys she knows have credit cards, which means...

5) Most guys she knows have good credit ratings, which means...

6) Most guys she knows are not unemployed, behind in child support, or currently in foreclosure or repo, as is so common with the economy the way it is right now.

And I haven't even started on the fact of the shopping and buying yet. And whether someone who delivers FedEx packages or climbs telephone poles or stocks dairy products, can worry overmuch about "how they look", except maybe on their nights out on the weekends.

And a 20-something co-worker proudly showed me his new tattoos today, hundreds of dollars worth, so he cares about how he looks too, but not the way her friends do, don't think. (one large, colorful tattoo was of a grenade exploding)

Two Americas. In Feminist Blogdonia, too. I wish more people than you and me and BlackAmazon and Ilyka (etc) understood this.

And as you know, the divide between the Two Americas is getting wider, not more narrow.

Thanks for letting me vent, did not want to write this on my own blog, but I really needed to say it somewhere.

(((kisses)))

Daisy Deadhead said...

Apologies for triplicate! Yipes!

D. said...

It happens.

Hey, you're welcome! It's not as though we don't need reminders... And maybe someday you can "file off the serial numbers" and run the general points. Which do require repeating.