Friday, November 19, 2010

Face Behind the Masks

Terrance of Republic of T discusses Republican refusal to extend unemployment benefits:
Make no mistake about it. The GOP is saying "Drop dead," to millions of unemployed Americans. This is a conservatism that rejects not only the "compassionate conservatism" of the Bush administration (oxymoronic as the concept was during the Bush era), but rebels "against even the idea that compassion is a legitimate object of public policy." (Not to mention empathy.) This is a conservatism without empathy or compassion, that doesn’t pretend to have either, and is proud of it[.]
(I would think conservatism's lack of empathy and compassion would alienate the evangelicals, but I'm not sure who they think Jesus was.)

Lisa Golden (Hi, Lisa!  I know it's late!) of That's Why sent a letter to her Senators about this a couple days ago.  If you are cursed with have a conservative Senator, perhaps you should let them know that starving constituents have been known to do desperate things.  (Note:  I am not advocating doing desperate things--I leave that to the faux populists of the air.)

2 comments:

lisahgolden said...

The sheer stupidity of this vote is stunning. As more people fall off of this safety net - INSURANCE that people like me have paid into for years and years - we're going to be crowding the welfare system for health care, food stamps, housing vouchers. This vote is very short sighted. I assume you saw the Think Progress post about this? It's a great summary of how bad this is.

Thank you for the link. I'd love to make appointments with my millionaire (and thus large tax cut recipients) Senators and Congressman, but they're not taking appointments with individuals at the moment, so say their staffers.

D. said...

Gee, I say, sarcasm and cynicism dripping off like sweat from a runner, I wonder why?