- Milwaukee joins the Mathematically Eliminated.
- Educators not happy with Federal education policies:
If the education profession as a whole had insisted on determining effective practices that reflect the realities of learning, rather than caving in to the push to reduce the complexities of learning into scores for simplistic funding models, then we might be looking at a different scenario now. And the education departments of colleges and universities are just as much to blame, for their ubiquitous lack of spine in confronting fearful administrators and obnoxious politicians.
Via Mills River Progressive via McClatchy Newspapers. - Anglachel's Journal on food and how privilege intersects with it:
I think about the industry of shaming fat people. I think about scarfing down ice cream, ashamed I am doing so because I'm fat. I think about the self-indulgence of watching rock concerts to stop hunger. I think of the anxiety about not ingesting the courant food of the month. I think about the miracle elixers that will save us all from the heartbreak of some obscure condition. I look at case after case of frozen convenience foods and their bar codes. I think about quaint little groceries in the Oakland Hills with prices written by hand onto the shelf tags. I think of relatives who sneer at stores I rely on. I think about the medicalization of food, turning eating as such into a pathology. I think about the transformation of food into a visible sign of personal rectitude.
- Why accessibility training is important. From Rolling Around in My Head:
So what part of accessibility training did they miss when they direct a guy in a wheelchair to a staired entrance. Is there any hope for disability training if those attending think we can just pop out of our chairs, climb up a set of stairs with our wheelchairs on our backs. Um, that's not disabled.
- Driftglass shows David Brooks for what he is.
Seriously, why isn’t the ghost of Pigmeat Markham beating the crap out of these clowns with his pig bladder?
WARNING: Language that would not be out of place at a performance by Lenny Bruce (or, for that matter, Sarah Silverman), but which workplaces frown upon. - Shakesville spotlights Doctor Grumpy in the House. A tiny taste:
[A] few days go by. BII will claim they never got our fax. Or that we filled the form out wrong. Or that they don't cover Capricorns when the moon is in Pisces. And we don't know this until Annie calls back after a few days, because they're hoping we forgot about it.
- Art Ferrante has died. (Mr. Teicher died last year.)
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Unpacking the Blogs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment