Saturday, September 5, 2009

Déjà Vu

President Obama is being told (as Lyndon Johnson was told about Vietnam) that more resources will do the trick in Afghanistan — more troops, more materiel, more money. Even if it were true (I certainly don’t believe it), we don’t have those resources to give. It’s obscene what we’re doing to the men and women who have volunteered for the armed forces, sending them into the war zones for three, four and five tours.
Bob Herbert mentions Vietnam. (Joe Biden has apparently recommended against upping the ante in Afghanistan, and I wish there had been a direct link.)

2 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

Daniel Ellsberg was just on CNN, talk about major flashbacks.

PS: are you on Twitter? Its fun!

D. said...

We saw Ellsberg a few years ago. Amazing man.

Timesinks expand to fill the time available...so no Twitter. This and Dreamwidth are quite enough, thanks.

(I turned off IM about 3 years ago. Made me crazy.)