Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Now Batting for Tralfamadore, Number 76--Canada

But I think my favorite part of [the Townhall article] is that he describes a system where everyone gets what they need and no one is ruined forever just because they get sick, and just assumes you’ll be horrified at the idea. Which is kind of amusing, like writing, “Boston is a land where people just walk by old ladies laying in the street in need of help, and instead of kicking them, they pick them up and get them help,” and expecting your audience to clutch their pearls and vow never to set foot in that dystopia Boston. But I thought it would be fun to play his game with social services that Americans are more familiar and fond of, just to drive home how weird he’s being.
Amanda Marcotte at Pandagon.  (To paraphrase her last paragraph:  Yes, I know she's said and done some dumb things, but this is reasonable enough.)

No comments: