In which people analyze things by way of other things and what I ignore is many other folks' fascination. Or something like that.
- Mark Evanier looks at U.S. businesses and their practices:
The thing I was asked to be an expert about — and I wasn't, which was one reason I said no — was about executive compensation. A senior exec was hired away from another firm. He did almost nothing at the new firm — and what he did do was by his own admission, wrong. They fired him and he left with a $20 million Golden Parachute. (I told them I could make bad decisions for them for less than half that salary.) The suit was about that he thought he deserved more.
- Via Cofax7's linkspam, the problems with political polling (the article is actually titled "The. Polls. Have. Stopped. Making. Any. Sense." but as you know I am rather an agnostic about polls and surveys anyway so my bias is confirmed; your bias may vary) in this election. Yes, it is six pages. They're still not allowed to make robocalls to cell phones. Yet.
- Doghouse Riley on Mr. Romney as fact-checker.
So to recap: the President a) refuses to acknowledge that insurance-paid contraception is actually abortion; b) refuses to admit that for-profit operations which receive federal funds but are owned by a particular cult are, in fact, churches, because 1) Karl Rove and 2) the Constitution clearly say so. And that c) this qualifies as "unprecedented", despite the fact that the identical thing has occurred in American history, and occurs today with some of those same institutions under state law, and has actually been topped, unquestionably, by other restrictions on religious expression (notably the anti-Mormon laws that preceded Utah statehood).
There is also (you can Google it; I need a hot shower with a loofah) a new right-wing smear asserting that Mr. Obama was fathered by someone other than his father (which would mean Mr. Obama is neither Kenyan nor Muslim; I don't suppose that bunch is smart enough to figure that that invalidates their original lie). The proper, Archie-comic level response is "Puh-leeeeeeeeeze!" Yeah, they got nothin' (technical term) if that's the best they can do.
In better news, Washington has clinched the Eastern Division title; Atlanta has clinched the wild card. Washington and Cincinnati are tied for best record in the NL. Detroit gets the Central Division title (White Sox eliminated); Yankees, Baltimore, Texas, and Oakland have playoff slots. St. Louis is likely to be the other NL wild card team. We shall see.
No comments:
Post a Comment