So I am perambulating in downtown Oakland, as is my wont, and I happen to pass the Paramount just as the naturalization ceremony has concluded. In front of the theater there are tables and hawkers and people with signs because the first thing you need to do after becoming an American citizen is to buy a cover for your certificate. There are Romney and Obama tables, with pamphlets, and there are people both near the tables and scattered in the crowd and the only sentence they know is "Are you registered to vote?"
Mostly.
I am coming up alongside the Romney table. The man there is repeating "Are you registered to vote?" to the people passing him. I start to pass him. "Hello, how are you today?"
Now it might have been that he varied the sentence every 8 or so people so that his mouth didn't seize up.
Nah, you don't believe that either.
See, I am not, to put it plainly, the Romney demographic in about 7 or 8 different ways, three of which are visible.
So I turn. And I smile. And I say, "Fine, thanks, and you have just confirmed what I've been saying on my blog for months. Thank you."
And I walk away and offer congratulations to the people who know a lot more about this country than "patriots."
No comments:
Post a Comment