Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Southern Beale Asks a Question

The question being:  Why aren't we in the streets and otherwise committing Serious Fomentation and Riot?
I know I sound like a broken record, but seriously: when is the fucking march? When is the rally on the National Mall? Where is the bra barbecue? I’m ready to sign up, show up, you name it. Someone tell me where to go, when to be there, what to do. I just don’t know why we aren’t better organized. This Akin shit is stirring the outrage and no one seems to be capitalizing on it. Do we not have the infrastructure?

I don’t want to sign a fucking petition. I want to kick some ass.
I know that Americans--people in general--are highly complacent. I know that writing blogs on the Internet is a safe catharsis as such things go.  So far, anyway.  I know about the boiled frog and denial and sheer disbelief.  Really.  When I was 16, I read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.  I am never going to be able to sit through The Garden of the Finzi-Continis because I'd be screaming like someone in a horror movie.

I would rather not wait around for Nehemiah Scudder.  (No, I don't think the candidates are preachers-turned-dictators.)

I'm not interested in revolution.  I used to be, but too many of them end badly.  I recognize we've all got lives and concerns preventing marching.

(And, by the way, where are the Tea partiers protesting the abrogation of the First Amendment?  Hmmmm?)

But really, where are the organizations who used to rally large numbers of people?  Because mostly turnout and marching don't happen by themselves.

(Don't even think it.  I am old and cranky and suggested a couple of years ago somewhere that something new was needed in the get-people-fired-up-for-mass-action department, having burnt out in 1972.)

No comments: