Meanwhile, Noli Irritare Leones has a terrific post up about immigration, featuring this statement:
When I fear that the new Arizona Immigration Law SB 1070, allowing state officials to inquire into the immigration status of any person based upon “reasonable suspicion,” will lead to ethnic profiling, part of the reason for my fear is that I believe many of my fellow Americans want ethnic profiling. I believe, in other words, that part of the reason for people’s fervent fear of illegal immigrants is the fact that said immigrants are the wrong color. Fear of immigrants of the wrong color is a long American tradition. Nearly a century ago, it led to the Immigration Act of 1920, an act designed to limit immigration of the darker sort of white person, people like my father.And there's more where that came from.
Raising this issue in the context of our current immigration debate requires nuance, though. Many people, reading remarks like what I’ve just said, will hear me as saying that the only non-racist position is to support completely open borders. And that’s not the case.
No comments:
Post a Comment