- Ignorant behavior:
It's not that the hood is, itself, ignorant. In the main it isn't. It's that in every community there is a minority that feel, and act, like they have nothing to lose. In the beautiful Harlems of America, poverty is greater than normal, and thus that minority is greater than normal. There's also nothing particularly black about. By now, I've been around enough hood-ass white people to know that.
- Racist behavior:
Time is short and if your political strategy amounts to banking on the stupid factor, I'm going to assume that much of everything else you're peddling is the same. Perhaps you have a good case to build around the shocking size of government. Perhaps there really is an intelligent argument against the estate tax. But a shocking number of people who would make that argument, are not smart enough to see the difference between using the term "Negro" and wishing that white supremacy had won out.
- Homophobic behavior (in reference to Rekers outing):
It's not that you're homophobic...[Article title] It's that you think I'm stupid.
- Addendum.
In the meantime, I think it's worth saying that I don't count on diversity and multiculturalism because I think it's kind, nice or because it makes me feel all cuddly inside. I count on it because I think that's where this world is headed. I think banking on the world remaining as it was in 1968 or even 1998, isn't very smart.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
And About Time
Ta-Nehisi Coates calls out stupidity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment