Monday, March 2, 2009

Why They Lie

Amanda Marcotte points out some things that that run counter to alleged Republican values.
Truth is, if you’re a lover of liberty, the corporate grip on our lives is much more restraining and humiliating than the government grip. The number one reason people self-censor and carefully hide who they are and what they believe is not fear of government censure, but the fear that you’ll never be able to get paid employment. Obeying a speed limit is less demoralizing than peeing in a cup for a job. The grind of the cubicle life saps the spirit more than arguing with the guy from the Metro offices ever could. But conservatives happily submit to the much more oppressive corporate authority because it’s legitimate, male authority. Federal authority is seen as feminine and illegitimate, especially if Democrats are in charge.
(Yes, I know. I'm adding nothing to this as there is nothing we don't already know, except that the rank and file (the non-rich followers) are terrified of losing their "privilege," even though said "privilege" is the size of a sugar cube and as durable.)

(It has been my unresearched and undocumented observation for a long time now that people with real power tend to be quieter; people who are or think they are powerless tend on average to be noisier--it's a compensation thing.  Shrieking conservative harpies are definitely broadcasting lack of power.  Don't tell 'em I said so.)

1 comment:

lisahgolden said...

I won't tell them you said so even though I agree with you. Seems the more one has to tell people they are (fill in the blank), the less true it actually it is....