So I'm looking forward to reading this at my leisure, particularly since I won't have to identify with any of the characters. I don't much like the Victorian period; it took a sizable swath of the 20th century to escape that mummification, and I note that certain politicians would much prefer a return to it.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Next Week
So, as I've said, I click on things at random, and today I clicked on the Live Journal link of a Total Stranger, which led me to the Serial Sensation community (Victorian Sensational Serial Novels, in the way they were meant to be read), which is serializing East Lynne. East Lynne was turned into a play and is known these days, if at all, as the ne plus ultra of melodrama, produced theatrically in every nook and cranny of the U.S. and Britain in the late 19th, early 20th centuries. (There are references to this in '30s movies set in the theatre/vaudeville.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment