Tuesday, March 24, 2009

By The Pricking of My Thumbs

I read and comment at Shakesville, and a large part of the reason is the multiplicity of voices [sorry]; Melissa McEwan explains the reason for those voices.  (ETA, 3/26/09:  This was Melissa's extended response to Anna of Trouble is a State of Mind; see this posting by Ilyka of Off Our Pedestals for a different response.)

Here, I'm just one sentient being, aging at the rate of one second per second, with a computer, some friends and family, and an itch to blather in the form of pixels.

Sometimes.

So my voice is largely "Lookatthis!" instead of "This is an insight cobbled up by a cerebrum in desperate need of exercise."  Not that coming up with stuff isn't exercise, but it's using grocery shopping  instead of defined weights to do arm curls.  I suppose my dislike of authoritarianism/totalitarianism has oozed forth, but any sane person shares that dislike.  (A person may be clinically sane but power-hungry; that, for me, tips the scale.)  Theodore Sturgeon writes in his introduction to The Stars Are the Styx:
"He [Horace Gold, editor of Galaxy] said, 'Well, I'll tell you what to do. Write me a story about a guy who goes to the bus station to pick up his wife; she's been away for the weekend. And the bus comes in and the place is suddenly full of people. And across the crowd he sees his wife, talking avidly to a young man. ... She walks across, meets her husband, gives him a kiss hello.

'Write me that, Sturgeon, and everybody in the country will know how you feel about that meathead senator!'

... It was this: that if you have real convictions...it's going to come through, no matter what you're writing about."

(It is instructive that when I dug out the actual quote, I discovered that I'd misremembered almost everything.)  So I don't think I need to explain my political beliefs.

As for my personal beliefs:  That line in Bull Durham about kisses that go on for three days was scripted.  Although Costner does deliver it well.

Also, ants will have parades and shivarees if there's chicken broth in the sink.  Yeeuuuuccccchh!

4 comments:

lisahgolden said...

You know, I found many of my first blog friends at Shakesville. I love the community that Melissa has developed. Sadly, I don't comment there anymore.

When I hear something like the three day long kiss line in movies, I'm compelled to point out that people just don't talk like that. And when it seems so out of character for a guy like Costner's character, it just makes it stand out more like a sore thumb.

I suppose that's why the writers do it, huh? To make the point?

D. said...

Gee, I thought it was supposed to announce that we should expect Romantic Plot in 5, 4, 3, 2... Not. I always have trouble with what real people talk like because I absorbed non-parental (ie, about relatives) adult conversation from books and movies. (People don't really say "Prithee," anymore, right?);-)

lisahgolden said...

LOL - not that I'm aware of, but we could start a campaign to bring the word "Prithee" back into vogue.

BTW - I've taken a cue from you and have decided to call our new community Badger's Drift. That little North GA town my be the closest thing to a small English village I ever get to live in!

(Let's just hope we don't have the unusually high murder rate that Midsomer seems to "enjoy.")

D. said...

[Full-throated chuckle]