This year, though, Belle's exhortations to her friends have become less about simply exercising the right to suffrage and more about preserving other hard-won rights. She believes that regardless of who they vote for, all women should vote – but, she tells her friends, we should vote for the party that will do most for women. There's a great deal to be done to ensure that women have all the same opportunities as men, and she knows that the Republicans won't do it.What with all the disenfranchisement efforts going around (see the label "You don't want me to vote." [which I need to relabel, stupid Blogger] for instances of attempts to suppress the electorate, using
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Saturday, September 22, 2012
Why American Women Should Vote
Couple of turns through websites (I think I started with The Sideshow, but it turns out that I actually bookmarked the Guardian [aka the Grauniad] a while back) brought me to this editorial/commentary in the Guardian laying out reasons that the votes of women in the US elections this year are important.
Republican Satanic panic "voter fraud" as the excuse) it makes sense to a) MAKE SURE YOU CAN VOTE and b) VOTE. No, I don't want to hear about how boring it is. No, I don't want to hear about how all the candidates are alike. You're an adult. Deal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment