Thursday, September 13, 2012

Things of Note

  • Teachers in Chicago are on strike.  Skippy cites Erik Loomis of Lawyers, Guns & Money and his own experience to urge supporting the teachers in this action.  I know I mentioned being put off math by a teacher in 2nd grade, but I was also encouraged by several teachers all the way through K-12.  You do know that teachers don't get paid well, and are in certain circles expected to do the job out of love, right?  SUPPORT CHICAGO TEACHERS!!!!!
  • Backstage at Security Theater.
    I really don’t want to hear how much shinier/sparklier/cheaper/better private contractors are. I also don’t want to hear about the budget deficit from phony fiscal hawks who are pocketing tens of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from these private companies. And finally, I don’t feel good knowing that our nuclear weapons programs are being handled by private, for-profit corporations. This is atrocious. If I were King I’d make this shit illegal.
  • What newspapers and Major League Baseball have in common.  (Also known as "Water won't flow uphill no matter how you order it to, King Canute.")  (Psst!  Boston and Philly slated for elimination soon!  Like, this weekend.)

No comments: