Friday, July 20, 2012

Holding My Nose

Driftglass demonstrates the sheer meretriciousness of David Brooks from many samples of his writing (no, wait, 'meretriciousness' indicates some attractiveness or value, and we're talking David Brooks' prose here.  Fake morality, demonstrable untruths, and hippie-bashing) over a span of 15 years.

There is a chapter in Les Misérables (the book) in which (wait, I'm not spoiling anyone here, am I?  Do I need spoiler space?) Jean Valjean has to carry the mercifully unconscious Javert through the Paris sewers, part of one tunnel of which has sunk.

No, I don't mean the heroism.  I mean being up to one's neck in waste.  Reading Mr. Brooks is like being up to one's neck in waste.

(Incidentally, Drifty is taking donations, so if you have cash to spare, you could do worse.  He reads David Brooks so that you don't have to.)

1 comment:

Daisy Deadhead said...

What a treat! Thanks for the link.

David Brooks sticks in my craw something terrible. After inventing the admittedly useful term, "Latte Town"--it was time for him to retire.