Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Born to Run

  1. Rest in peace, Nora Ephron.  Even though I didn't seem to exist in her world.
  2. Apparently the non-mustached conservative columnist at the New York Times took in a Bruce Springsteen concert (in Europe, to avoid running into actual Springsteen fans who spoke English) and packaged it into pellets.  Jamison Foser slices and dices Mr. Brooks and goes on to paste Gov. Chris Christie one in the chops.  (Link via rivkat at Dreamwidth.)  Driftglass collects several more links on the subject, all of which are well worth the click.  (Drifty posts a link to the original column so I don't have to for reference.)
  3. ETA:  I missed Doghouse Riley's shredding of George Will's review of the Beach Boys concert.
    Must this always be said this way? Attention must be paid? Really? As though this great Generational Leviathan insists that Everyone listen to nothing but its incontinently nostalgic soundtrack of 60s Top 40 to Eternity? Codswallop. So far as I know, there's still a Glenn Miller Orchestra touring out there. There are Platters and Coasters and possibly Ink Spots out there, all, like George Washinton's original hatchet, having had the handle replaced five times and the blade six.

    Easy nostalgia for money is hardly a Boomer invention. I'm sorry, truly sorry, if it ruins your elevator riding experience, but take that up with the people who peddle shit for money, not people who like to relive the high point of their miserable lives made even more miserable by shit peddlers and their public spokesmen.

No comments: