Tuesday, June 19, 2012

1801

Arthur Silber does a lot of what I refer to elsewhere as "deep background dot-connecting," or the ways and reasons in which stuff from the past relates to what goes on now.  There's a vast swath of history that we know different bits and pieces about, and having more of the bits and pieces helps with the deductive reasoning that makes believing conservative fantasies exceedingly difficult.

His current series gets at the media and general public complicity in governmental frog-boiling, with examples.  (Contains links to the previous three parts.)
Although I have read fairly extensively about the rise of the Nazis, I would hardly say that I am an expert on the subject. But I have thought a great deal about the general issues involved, and about the dynamics that explain why people in many historical periods and places have so blithely accepted the steps by which their society descends into hell.
(Incidentally, I'm coming to think that invoking Godwin has done a disservice. The Nazis really were that bad.)

As usual, he'd appreciate some aid.  (Bonus:  Conversation with cat.)

No comments: