Saturday, September 17, 2011

Potpourri for 600

Um, yeah.  Folks are being productive today.
  1. Jill at Brilliant at Breakfast on what happens if the Tea Party gets its way, with highlights of this piece by Ian Millhiser at Center for American Progress.
  2. Ren (Renegade Evolution) on (dare I say it?) Class.  Because it exists, it matters, and it underpins a lot of what's wrong with the country.
    Bullshit. Turn on your television, or radio, or go to a movie, or read a book, or look at a newspaper, or hell, think of every joke about West Virginia, Alabama, Ohio, Georgia, Nebraska, Wyoming or Montana you have ever heard. If you actually want me to cite specific examples, I can and will do so…I am a bit of a stickler for that. And as the New American Nightmare, a Hick who not only likes guns, but has college degrees, I will say this: Everywhere I look -when people are writing about power, or politics, or gender, or feminism, or the sex industry, or just about any other fucking subject on the face of the earth they almost always leave class out of it, and they avoid talking about classism and its affects on white people like a rat with a broken leg would avoid a starving rattlesnake. No one discusses this shit in depth. No one wants to be “that guy”. It is the great white elephant in the room.
     Also because we all need tools to deal with class besides Marx, who is of a different century and whose followers tend to use Marxian class analysis like a hammer.  (Obligatory disclaimer:  I am not a Marxian.)
  3. Some "Weird Al" at Whatever.
  4. Oakland honors Glenn Burke.  (Ballplayer, gay, out to his teammates, tragic end.)
  5. The essay is still simmering.
  6. Seattle clothing sense.

No comments: