Friday, August 26, 2011

Outrage Lock

  1. Just so you know, earlier this week I passed the 1,500th posting.  Not bad for a taciturn recluse. ;-)
  2. Also, I am trying to recalibrate the Rage-O-Meter, which seems lately to start in the red zone and shoot up from there.  "Stop reading news and blogs," you say, and I would agree, except I am now somewhat addicted, and I like the folks on Dreamwidth, many of whom are much better at the analysis angle.  Also, Bejeweled.  And YouTube.  And Pam's House Blend, which I mostly don't read because when it first began, it and Safari had Issues, put me on to a couple of resources for Journey.  (I am too lazy and too lacking in the interviewing skillset to write the scholarly work that sort of drama needs, which is a shame; I can't imagine anyone outside the band members wanting to.  I just enjoy the occasional hit of research.)
  3. Anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution.  With reminder that some women had to wait a lot longer for the right to vote.
  4. Arthur needs money.
  5. Sideshow's roundup of *headdeskery*. I admit to a wry smile that this is the first scandal in Darrell Issa's office where the direct perpetrator is not named Darrell Issa  (Confidential to Mr. Issa:  Water runs downhill because of gravity).
  6. Daisy explains "why the mainstream media are clueless about the religious right." Also:
    "With the exception of the anti-war stance"? Earth to Adele! Somebody does not keep up with the drug war, which is BANKRUPTING THE COUNTRY and decimating poor and minority communities. Maybe Adele doesn't know any teenagers whose lives have been ruined over a tiny and inconsequential puff on a joint, but poor people have plenty of examples to share with her. Ron Paul proposes to legalize and tax marijuana and end the super-expensive drug war altogether... and that is a damned radical position that no other Republican AND no other Democrat has dared take.

    The unbridled destruction of poor communities and the mass-imprisonment of young minority men is a fucking SCANDAL; the drug charges that the privileged kids from good schools can safely giggle about years later ("Oh man, my dad was sure pissed!") are the very same drug charges that will get you locked up for life if you are too poor to afford a lawyer or your daddy doesn't know the right people.

    Ending this VICIOUS ATTACK on the poor is a PROGRESSIVE POSITION and only Ron Paul will take it.

    You know this, right Adele? That one out of four black men is in prison for some BULLSHIT? Aaaarghhh, don't even get me started.

    The fact that you have ignored this point in your piece, Adele Stan, is rather clueless as well. The fact that you don't seem to know what is happening in minority communities? Marks you as one of the elite media that doesn't know what's going on out here in the fabled Heartland.
    I am not a Marxist, but sooner or later the class thing is going to have to be faced, probably is non-Marxist terms.  (I have other problems with libertarians.)
  7. There was an earthquake a couple of days ago on the East Coast.  This weekend, there will be a hurricane.  It's because conservatives are not feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, or freeing prisoners.  Mark my words.
  8. A quick refresher.
  9. List of 2011 Hugo Award winners.
  10. Fred Pohl on wealth and statistics.
  11. Some small part of the problem is that many of the people alive today and most of the bloggers out there don't remember the Kennedy presidency At All.  

3 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

Thank you for the linkage!!!! ((kiss kiss))) PS: Speaking of rage-o-meters, better avoid MY blog today, she warned.

One of the Green Party guys will not call her "Nikki" which he believes is calculated to make her seem cute and cheerleaderish and harmless. He resolutely calls her "Nimrata" (her actual given birth name) because it means "Harmony" and he says she needs to be reminded of WHAT HER NAME MEANS and until she does, she is NIMRATA to him.

Someone else offered that a white man calling her Nimrata when she doesn't choose to be called Nimrata
could be construed as racist, and we were off on one of those big Green Party arguments/discussions that last hours... too bad I no longer drink...

I came away from the discussion with my blog post of the day... also, decided that in my MIND she will be Nimrata/Harmony but out loud I will say Nikki like everybody else.

Daisy Deadhead said...

IT JUST GOT LINKED ON CNN, Woot!

Do not underestimate the importance of Joe Johns on your Facebook friends list!

Biographical note: CNN's Joe Johns played my father in a school play! And this was 1972, way before "untraditional casting" was acceptable! :D It was a comedy and there was stone silence for the first 10 minutes or so... I can still remember how we looked at each other onstage, real skeered, but we just kept plowing onward... finally, a titter, and then, at long last -- real laughs. (whew) But at first, the audience was just SHOCKED when I said "Daddy!" LOL (But we were SOOOO wonderful we won them over!)

I wrote to Joe on FB and asked if he remembered... of COURSE he did. :D Isn't that cool? This is the second time I've been linked on CNN since he added me. JOE ROCKS THE HOUSE! (I don't want to out him as a liberal though, so this story doesn't go on my blog...)

I love seeing him on TV and telling people, he was my FATHER!

D. said...

Yay!

I am...a bit twitchy about preferred names v. "real" names onaccountabecause there is some history about "calling someone out of their name." Racist and classist. So, yeah, your solution is probably best. (That kind of exhibition of "privilege" may be what keeps turning me off the Green Party.)