Maybe I’m being nitpicky by pointing out that Ayn wasn’t much for Republicans, and maybe it’s wrong that it’s always bothered me that this was someone who fled a country in which she and her family were literally starving, only to get here and find that your Humphrey Bogart liberal class did not want to hear it, wouldn’t hear it. It couldn’t be true; the New York Times said there is no famine. You’re making it up.
And I just do not know anyone who wouldn’t be made a little fucking crazy by that experience.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Monday, August 29, 2011
Some Perspective
Roundfiled on lived experience and its warpings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm fascinated by her, read several biographies, including the ex-lover Branden and the wife of the ex-lover, Barbara... I went thru a real phase!
Don't forget sexism, something that I think infuriated her to such a degree she never even addressed it once. TOO MUCH, she wasn't going there. Rand was always made furious by the way WFBuckley and that whole crowd talked down to her: Yes, we're glad you were a witness, now shut up, little Jewish girl! About Buckley, she famously said, "Let him go to hell in his own way!" (shouted across the room at a cocktail party, I read. HAHA! I always cheer for the uncouth people, I'm afraid.)
On another level, I am very interested in women with high sex drives (hers was INcredible!) and how they often have such high ambitions in other areas of life. And I wonder, if other women could "summon" guys of their choosing, would their (our) sex drives increase? As it happens to men? The more she summoned the flunkies for quickies, the more pumped up (in ALL areas of life) she seemed by it. Reminded me of a typically-ambitious male cult leader, and I wondered if maybe there is some sociobiological thing happens to people's hormones when they are "in charge"? (But alas, you can never find those sociobiology peeps when you need em. Also, they never want to talk about women doing anything but getting raped throughout history, you'll notice..)
I love to talk about Ayn Rand, but not with the Randoids. So that makes it a little difficult. ;)
Oh, good; Google actually let me sign in.
There was a longish comment that got eaten. Mostly that if you ever do the sociobiological research, I'd be interested in the results.
Post a Comment