Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Took the Words Right Out of Your Mouth

So, being at loose ends and loose clothes, because it's actually hot here (in the summer!  Who'da thunk?), I absentmindedly clicked on Orcinus, which has had the same thing up since December and--

There was new stuff.  From February, but I'd not seen it (it's quite possible it just got posted with the dates because someone at Netroots Nation saw Neiwert and said something like "Dude!  We miss you!" and he smacked his head and kicked the tires and got a month's worth of stuff to post.  All I'm saying is that when I last looked, the most recent article was dated December 11, 2010), and it was all coverage of the murder of Brisenia Flores and Raul Junior Flores and the trial of the murderess.  (Well, and occasional posts about O'Reilly, but they don't count.)

I had many opportunities to comment (Echo.  Ugh.) which I did not take, but I hit a random link at the side and somehow got to "Progressives Can't Afford to Exclude the Working Class" which had this as the first paragraph:
Contemporary liberalism runs the risk of becoming isolated. But this threat does not solely come from the likes of Michele Bachmann or Glenn Beck. It also comes from some self-described liberals whose behavior feeds into the right’s caricature of who we are. We risk becoming a group that restricts membership to a certain kind of liberal, one that is educated, not merely nonreligious but anti-religious, and one that is simultaneously smug and self-righteous.

[...]

What these public figures could be doing instead is rebutting the conservative mantra that Reagan’s tax cuts drastically increased revenue (they didn’t). Better yet, how about pulling the rug out from under the GOP myth that big government doesn’t do anything right? Projects put forth by economic liberals have led to generations of local wealth creation, such as the TVA or the Lower Colorado River Authority. They brought electrical power — and production — to whole sections of the South, areas “the invisible hand” of laissez-faire didn’t want to touch. More importantly, such a discussion would be a very powerful tool in explaining how an activist government does indeed create private sector jobs.
There's more to be said, though.

But I'm going out to enjoy some music.

No comments: