- Anthony McCarthy reposts his essay on Lies and Free Speech at Echidne of the Snakes.
I’m sure that, as in the discussion of violent porn, this question will elicit an immediate response with the most extreme of hypothetical scenarios presented. It’s often the classic questions. What about lying to the Nazis about where the Jewish children are hidden? That kind of thing. And, of course, when those situations are real, they are all important. Of course, any moral person with a functioning brain would lie to the Nazis. But pretending that moral imperative to lie as an exculpatory factor in the official lies that gush like oil from the insanely drilled hole in the Gulf, is willfully and stunningly dishonest. The two situations are made definitively different by the illegitimacy of the Nazis’ genocide and their demented despotism. Naziism can, in no way, be equated with the aspirations and the goals of egalitarian democracy. To deny that difference is to lie, to assert those two situations are equivalent is a colossal lie. The imperative to lie is founded in the choices of Nazis. The requirement to tell the truth an essential prerequisite for democracy to be possible.
- Why I, personally, am contemptuous of "birthers."
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Two Things
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'll be relinking your link. I just heard more of this birther-bullshit TODAY: "Oh the records are sealed!"--where do they get this crap? I am astounded that this nonsense is endlessly repeated. I told the person that I believe anyone who subscribes to this is a whack job, and I think hurt his feelings because he likes me. But I want him to UNDERSTAND that this is LUNACY he got from LIMBAUGH (or someone of that ILK)...
Donald Trump is an opportunistic pig--Jerry Seinfeld rocks!
Indeed, it is all I have been able to do to not scream, and birthers are extremely rare (or smart enough not to expose their ignorance) in this neck of the woods.
Have a happy weekend!
Post a Comment