Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cthulhu in Their Souls

Daisy has turned me on to Renegade Evolution, and I'm getting caught up, more or less.  (I disagree with Ren on the Confederate flag, but there's always something.)  Ren linked to a posting at ginmar, who in turn had a post on a town taken over by the state of Michigan (financial martial law), Benton Harbor.  I have a vague rememberance of knowing someone with a Benton Harbor address long ago.

I could have sworn I posted something about the war in Iraq being about the oil, but I haven't been able to find it.  (Link via Southern Beale.)
The documents were not offered as evidence in the ongoing Chilcot Inquiry into the UK's involvement in the Iraq war. In March 2003, just before Britain went to war, Shell denounced reports that it had held talks with Downing Street about Iraqi oil as "highly inaccurate". BP denied that it had any "strategic interest" in Iraq, while Tony Blair described "the oil conspiracy theory" as "the most absurd".

But documents from October and November the previous year paint a very different picture.

Five months before the March 2003 invasion, Baroness Symons, then the Trade Minister, told BP that the Government believed British energy firms should be given a share of Iraq's enormous oil and gas reserves as a reward for Tony Blair's military commitment to US plans for regime change.
And then it goes into detail. There are a lot of people who should have had incredibly elongated noses in 2003...

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Ren is fabulous... in the nasty email wars I have alluded to so many times, she is the one who had my back. She always does and I just love her to death! And she's always witty and has a natural talent for narrative.

She deleted her first blog, which was also righteous and had some great defenses/analysis of sex work and porn (in addition to being a performer, she has also produced her own). I think she wants to branch out from that now and focus on other stuff too, but I wish she hadn't deleted her brilliance; some of that stuff hadn't been said anywhere else.
:(

Daisy Deadhead said...

Blogger unaccountably logged me in with my oldest account rather than my newest one... so sorry for Brunhilde there! :P