- For one thing, no pony. Ever.
As long as people insist that there are pat answers for the long-term unemployed -- go live with family (without knowing what any individual's family situation is), dumb down your resume (how do you do that with 30 years of ever-increasing knowledge level jobs?), work at McDonald's (as if every fast food restaurant has a "come on in, the money's fine" sign out front...
Shorter Jill: People who work for a living and don't have a million dollar trust fund are in trouble. (Also, remember I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang? You might want to mine that movie for survival tips.) - Ta-Nehisi Coates puts Race and Gay Marriage in Perspective. (Which is to say the comparison with Loving v. Virginia works in some ways and doesn't work in others. Surprise.)
- Arthur Silber on Wikileaks and the threat to order and hegemony Wikileaks represents. (The two previous articles on Wikileaks are linked at the above articles and below. Also,
Long-time readers probably know that I profoundly admire the superlative artistry of Maria Callas. So if you happened to be wondering (because, for example, you have nothing to occupy your time and, every now and then, the most astonishingly insignificant questions happen to wander through the echoing spaces of your mind) whether I have a somewhat higher opinion of Mr. Obama because he has Callas on his iPod, my answer would be a very emphatic:
No. - I will not be voting for Meg Whitman for governor of California, and if you need to ask why, I would think that any random post would be fairly clear on reasons, even if it doesn't directly address the question. The current ads are touting a "business plan" for the state, and, entirely aside from California's size and diversity, she sounds as though she is confusing the place with eBay. And I don't believe her. Nor will I be voting for Carly "HP" Fiorina.
- Lagniappe for the Day (via Shakesville): You're still not poor enough! (Link to Richard Roeper (yes, that Richard Roeper) discussions with readers about Illinois gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady (guess which party. Go on, guess) wanting to reduce the minimum wage.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The thing that most people need to understand is that being unemployed can easily happen to them in this economy. And the other thing is that this idea that people should feel lucky and grateful to have jobs will only lead to worse and longer wage stagnation, erosion and worse treatment from employers.
Not to put too fine a point on it, many if not most people are living alongside that river in Egypt.
I linked the Coates piece on Facebook just now. (If you're there, give me a holler; I friend virtually everyone but the fundies and porn stars... and even a couple of those, now that I think of it...)
Post a Comment