Saturday, April 3, 2010

Meditation on Reason (No, Not the Magazine!)

That Descartes guy.
A dogmatic adherence to falsehood of the sort frequently claimed by religions which claimed a special knowledge of ultimate questions was, in Descartes’s thinking, one of the greatest challenges to the human species. But for Descartes, the illogical adherence to uttered falsehoods is a human constant which the scientific mind must struggle to overcome. “Since the pressure of things to be done does not always allow us to stop and make such a meticulous check, it must be admitted that in this human life we are often liable to make mistakes about particular things, and we must acknowledge the weakness of our nature.”
Scott Horton generally pairs a [translated] quotation from a long-dead bloke with some nice music, usually composed by some long-dead bloke, with his own thoughts as sandwich filling. I enjoy this stuff, but I kinda wish he'd broaden the selection of dead blokes.

Also, I like Spock when he does Descartes.  Heh

No comments: