Friday, February 13, 2009

Talking Baseball

Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Also?  Bud Selig's been the Commissioner of Baseball since 1998.  Mark McGwire hit the 62nd homer in 1998.  He was known to be taking the (legal at the time) steroid precursor androstenedione.  There was no policy on steroids before 2002.  Mr. Selig is sounding awfully Claude-Rainsian about somebody who [ETA:  allegedly] quit taking the stuff in 2005.


(No, I am not defending A-Rod.  Perish the thought.  I do note that the Yankees seem to have had several steroid fans on their roster.  If I felt sorry for anyone, it would be Miguel Tejada.)

2 comments:

David Ettlin said...

Quit taking the stuff in 2005? Maybe he did. More likely not. Eventually we'll see the entire list of who flunked the test, and it's going to be eye-popping (as opposed to pill-popping).
Cheers from The Real Muck (and thanks for putting up a link to my blog -- your site is quite nice!)

D. said...

You're welcome, and thank you!

An "allegedly" should probably be in that sentence, although 2006 was also the year the mandated unannounced drug tests began, so unless he's been using a masking agent (and I'd suspect that Mr. Boras scares the steroids right out of everybody), that datum will out and soon. I'll stick it in there.