Long post by Anna Feruglio Dal Dan refuting said article point by point.
Good times.
ETA: Anna deleted her Live Journal in the wake of RaceFail09. (She has 30 days to restore it. I don't know whether she will.)
Damn.
EFTA: I have resorted to Google cache. So I now have the cached page with the refutation. This is an ethical foggy area, however; this post is not the reason she deleted the journal, but she did delete the journal and I should probably get permission to resurrect her writing. Not to mention copyright. But the loss to scholarship...!
And I suppose if I were a scholar, that would override all considerations. But I'm just another packrat on the Net, going "Oooh, shiny!" at a particularly glittery fact and dragging it off to my already fact-filled nest.
EEFTA: Communication is possible. I will wait.
EEFTAF [as of 3/12/09]: Restored!
And this is where I should insert a promise to quote from the source more. Usually I think that the source has stated matters really well and I don't want to cast my warping field of warp over their words. Also, I take the business about "two or three sentences, tops" seriously, even though it invariably looks as though I'm quoting half the page. Also, I try not to blow someone else's punch line. Also, even though the linked article is long, you can read every word even if you're not totally fascinated with the languages of Italy; it's that good.
So I'll try to excerpt briefly from what I'm linking to more. Most of the time. Except when I don't. OK? [Edited to unsplit the infinitive. Take that!]
No comments:
Post a Comment