Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Stepping Stones for Baby Steps

When I was a teenager, and probably for years before that, the various TV stations showed a lot of the World War II era movies.  The vast majority of them were in black and white, and all of them were explicitly anti-Nazi.  Not all of them targetted the same set of evils that German fascism embraced, but taken together, one could get a picture of the reason that fascism was Bad (yes, that is the technical term).

Many years have passed and "conservatives" and corporations have bought up broadcast media to the point where very few "independent" outlets remain, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of the more firmly anti-Nazi movies aren't shown anymore, even at 3 am.

Casablanca is an exception, but I suspect that it's more marketed and promoted as a "Classic," which, don't get me wrong, it is.  But the other movies, most of which reside title-lessly in my fuzzy memory (the one with the guy's hair in his face all the time, the one with Jimmy Stewart, the one with the street musician playing a Mendelssohn tune he identifies as Wagner to the Gestapo) seldom if ever crop up on the screen these days.  You can get '40s music on cable channels these days; you can't get '40s movies (well, TCM; but TCM is scattershot and includes silent films, lots of stuff from the '30s, '50s, '60s, and occasionally the '70s).

This matters because all these flicks posited a resistance and its costs.

And the costs of resistance were not small.  There were reprisals.  For example, Lidice.

So.  We have to continue to push back against fascism because it only gets worse.

2 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

Is it even legal for him to order federal employees to cease communication? I know he doesn't give a shit about legal or illegal, but if it went to the courts?

D. said...

I hope it does go to the courts. I don't know who'd take it there, though. Certainly not Sessions.