Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Morals" and Health

Pamela Merritt, who used to be Shark-fu (apparently I missed the changeover) at Angry Black Bitch, details what a "morality" exemption for health care means.
When I heard that a certain Senator Roy Blunt (R-Missouri) introduced an amendment to the Affordable Care Act that would allow any employer to refuse to cover whatever service they claim a moral objection to…well, I thought about my previous experience with Lupron and why I ended up on the pill.

I thought about having to explain my bitness to my employer...about having to make some sort of case for meds that are legal and that I have no moral objection to.

[...]

This so-called birth control battle is about a lot more than contraception...it is about not having to beg, negotiate, or endure a forced public confession to get access to services and medicine denied based on some employer’s morality glitch.
And some people have moral objections to medicine, period.  Some people have moral questions about pain-killers.  Some people morally object to the existence of other people.  As the job market is currently structured, one may end up working for those people.  Wanna bet?  Do you have sex, drink coffee or alcohol, smoke, listen to really loud music?  Someone's "morality" has probably been offended.  Do you want that person in a position to deny you treatment?

ETA:  And Southern Beale echoes.

No comments: