So when you recall things that happened to you online, things that actually hurt you and hurt others–when you allow for the possibility that the internet is a real place inhabited by real people–you’re breaking all their nice toys. And that’s kind of a repeating theme, if I understand correctly, in interactions between white women and women of color, regardless of the internet: Your hurt scarcely merits acknowledgement, let alone apology, but break a white girl’s toy and OH THAT’S IT. The internet is just a relatively newer and faster way to perpetuate it–and also to dispose of the evidence afterwards.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
On-going Struggle
Link-rich posting by Ilyka, referencing anonymity, institutional history, appropriation, silencing, and intersectionality, and reminding me that I have to write a modern-day version of "The Emperor's New Clothes." (Which has probably Been Done.)
I recommend following all the links.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment