Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Adventures in Coincidence

(The Swan, photographed [finally!] November 10, around 4:00 pm.)

So after church Sunday morning I went to photograph the swan (on my way to the lunch date for which I was only late 5 minutes) and lo! the batteries, freshly charged, were quite, quite dead.  Not that the swan was there, but there was a pelican on the water, quite majestic, and two egrets.

Later that same afternoon, I decided enough was enough, and hied myself to a Radio Shack for batteries, explaining that the super-duper rechargeables I got three years ago did not work and that although the batteries in question look like AAs, they aren't really.  Radio Shack only has various strengths of AA and the super-duper rechargeables.  Which do not work.  The frustrated clerk sent me to the camera store around the corner.

Behind the counter in the camera store around the corner--

--I have to explain here that I am very much a New Yorker in that I do not pester total strangers even though I see them several times a week for several years.  That is, I do not presume acquaintance based on seeing someone more than twice.  I am pretty sure that I now know most of my neighbors on sight.  This was not always the case.--

--was someone I had seen almost every morning (when I wasn't running late) for several years.  Huh.  It turns out that I need Nickel Metal Hydride (yes, the secret of NiMH) batteries, and his name is Bill (cue The Crystals singing "Da Doo Ron Ron").  (Beautiful music is not in the cards.)

He hadn't seen swans on the lake in ages, either.


No comments: