Monday, May 8, 2017

Bumpty-Bumpty-Bump

Not channelling Trashcan Man...

(Aside:  I managed somehow not to have heard that song until the late '90s, which meant I lost the aural background of a fair piece of The Stand).
  • To begin:  Lesley Stahl interviews the last living prosecutor from the Nuremberg (Nürnberg in German) trials.
    The Nuremberg trials after World War II were historic -- the first international war crimes tribunals ever held. Hitler's top lieutenants were prosecuted first. Then a series of subsequent trials were mounted against other Nazi leaders, including 22 SS officers responsible for killing more than a million people -- not in concentration camps -- but in towns and villages across Eastern Europe. They would never have been brought to justice were it not for Ben Ferencz.

    [...]

    But Ferencz knew they were guilty and could prove it. Without calling a single witness, he entered into evidence the defendants' own reports of what they'd done. Exhibit 111: "In the last 10 weeks, we have liquidated around 55,000 Jews." Exhibit 179, from Kiev in 1941: "The city's Jews were ordered to present themselves… about 34,000 reported, including women and children. After they had been made to give up their clothing and valuables, all of them were killed, which took several days." Exhibit 84, from Einsatzgruppen D in March of 1942: Total number executed so far: 91,678. Einsatzgruppen D was the unit of Ferencz's lead defendant Otto Ohlendorf. He didn't deny the killings -- he had the gall to claim they were done in self-defense.
  • Via skippy: Paid protestors. When "conservatives" claim that protesters are paid by various shadowy leftist financiers (there are leftist financiers? Where?), it's because that's how they roll, and they are so unimaginative that they can't believe anyone would take sufficient exception to acts unless money was involved.  (Tommy Christopher, Shareblue.  Which may be biased.)
  • Following the money...  Because it's indicative of the man's character.  (The Rectification of Names)
  • Stealth oppression of poor people.  Because their lives are still insufficiently Dickensian.  (Kai Wright, The Nation, and I've hit my limit of 6 articles.)
  • Why Republicans hate sick and/or poor people.  A streak of libertarianism holds that a person attracts those pre-existing conditions on purpose.  (Another reason to distrust libertarianism.)
    In reality, people exist in a society where their life trajectories are largely determined by impersonal social and political systems. Nevertheless, the just world hypothesis can be compelling. It allows the privileged, the powerful and the rich to rationalize their opportunities: “I earned it! Those people are lazy!” “Good things happen to good people! Those people are immoral and made bad choices unlike me!” “Their problems aren’t my responsibility!”
    (Chauncey DeVega, Indomitable)
    • An illustration
    • Joy Reid's staff could not get one Republican to come on and defend health care vote.  (Susie Madrak, Crooks and Liars)  Yes, I know I've mentioned it before.
    • A fuller explanation
      It's unlikely that the Republican House bill ends up used as the real blueprint, but if that happens the most likely outcome would be that many individuals with pre-existing conditions would be priced out of the insurance markets altogether, and a certain number of them would die earlier than would have been the case under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). Those early deaths are a bizarre way of saving money, and so is a plan aiming at insuring only the healthy against the expenses of illness.
      (Echidne of the Snakes)
  • Lance Mannion on the health-care bill fight:
    I mean the Republicans civic religion, their belief that all government spending is bad for the economy and bad for the character of the nation. The road to serfdom is paved with liberals' good intentions and paid for by conservatives who---another article of faith---are the only people in America who work and pay taxes. How can we call ourselves a free people if most of us are imprisoned by our dependency on the government for food, shelter, and health care while the hardworking rest of us are held captive by our obligation to foot the bill for the lazy, entitled, irresponsible mobs demanding and collecting free stuff?
  • Eschaton: the "It's better than nothing, but" defense of Obamacare.
  • Three from driftglass:
  • Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Michael Flynn is still a problem.  (Zandar Versus The Stupid)  UPDATE!  Sally Yates testifies.
  • Southern Beale:
    This is part of a larger flaw in white Southern evangelical Christianity. There’s this belief that material success is the outward manifestation of spiritual worthiness. It’s proof that one has been “chosen” by God. It has to be that, right? To concede that it might more accurately be the result of privilege and decades of the cards being stacked in your favor at the expense of others would be to concede complicity in an unjust system. Few have the moral courage to admit that. Better to believe that the system is fair and success a sign of righteousness.
And that closes all the tabs. But there are probably outrages I've missed.  Oh, and Emmanuel Macron defeated Marine Le Pen.  (Video)  Whew!

3 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

I figure I will put this here where nobody (who cares about *me* -- that is to say) will see it... my daughter's birthday was March 28th, and "stupid girl" was directed to her. She WILL see it since she is currently in a Texas hoosegow (always wanted to use that word in a sentence) due to her very bad impersonations of Jesse Pinkman. In Texas, manufacturing may get you a mandatory 5-year sentence; thing is, she has been **wandering around in the desert** for a couple of years now, going to and from arraignments. I had finally reached the conclusion that white women with german surnames can't even get arrested in central Texas (hence that old expression, "I can't get arrested in this town!")... in short, they sure took their time. If I sound grateful, I am... I just want her away from the substances; at this point, I don't care who it is: L ron hubbard, bob jones, oral roberts, imams, rabbis, priests, who-the-fuck-ever, if they can save her soul from this thing devouring her, I will get down on my knees and praise god almighty and them too. But the churches seem as useless as the law and the courts. Basically, Trump era America wants the addicts to die... they have even begun tumblr memes about how addicts are all evil users and exploiters and should die. (Convenient and timely; I have even wondered if the alt-right is priming the kids on tumblr for the mass deaths to come.)

Anyway, I had hoped to blog about the 5th congressional debate at the Newberry Opera House, which is on youtube and was thoroughly traumatizing, and maybe I still will. But I wanted to let you know whats going on with me, since you are the person who still comments and I love you!! <3 The facebook ppl already know since she 1) changed her name to "mallory knox"--yes, she hallucinates she is in an Oliver Stone movie and 2) she has talked about the possibility of jail for awhile now, and now is not posting, so there it is. Most people who know both of us know all this.

Love ya and thank you for caring. She recently posted that tired ass song "mother mother" -- (she is TOO OLD for that shit) and so.... I reciprocated. My crybaby song (dated from when she ran away from home the first time) is "pretty penny" by stone temple pilots, but I refuse to cry (for the nth time) so instead I posted the one that makes me feel superior, "stupid girl". Petty, I know, but I DID feel better.

Anyway: Keep on keeping on. <3 hope all is well with you!

Daisy Deadhead said...

tmi? sorry, and hope not.

Correction: 5th DISTRICT congressional debate, not the 5th debate. (I could not take 5 of those. One more to go before the special election, June 5.)

D. said...

Heh. No problem. I've missed you.

It just takes me a couple of days to cough up replies lately. I'm sorry about your daughter. That must be agonizing. (Division of people one never stops loving but who have done things one cannot countenance.)

My vague recollection is that Texas is tougher on drug users than other states, but I'm probably generalizing from David Crosby.

[Yanno, I shouldn't have to do a 4 part captcha on my own blog, blogger!]