Monday, April 10, 2017

Mercy and Subsequence

I stopped by a website of quackery early this morning; fortunately I'm not gullible (at least in that direction), so I just had a good laugh and avoided clicking on anything.
  • I hadn't heard of "lunch-shaming" before, but it sounds straight out of Dickens.  Have I mentioned that to "conservatives," "Dickensian" (as long as not applied to them and theirs) is a term of approbation?  New Mexico has made the practice illegal.
    The reason shaming happens, it seems, is that many schools carry lunch debt forward and cannot be reimbursed with federal dollars for it. As a result, they come up with ways to shame children into paying debts for which they have no means to do so.

    This bill is a step forward, but it needs to be adopted in every state. No child should go hungry in this country. No child should be shamed for wanting to eat. And the idea that a child should have a hot meal tossed rather than be allowed to eat it just defies all understanding at all.
     (Karoli Kuns, Crooks and Liars)
  • Follow-up:  Alabama Governor Robert Bentley resigns before impeachment and is booked on lesser charges.  (Crooks and Liars; see updates)  AL.com has more details.

No comments: