Saturday, December 21, 2013

From the "What Did I Tell You?" File

Voting restriction bills have racial causes.  From Talking Points Memo (TPM)
Two University of Massachusetts Boston academics -- Keith G. Bentele, an assistant professor of Sociology, and Erin O'Brien, an associate professor of Political Science -- recently published a paper looking at the proposal and passage of restrictive voter access legislation from 2006 to 2011. In the paper, titled "Jim Crow 2.0? Why States Consider and Adopt Restrictive Voter Access Policies," the authors conclude that restrictive voter measures are connected to both partisan and racial factors.

[…]

What about the great Republican specter of voter fraud?

"If you want to be extraordinarily generous, you could say allegations of voter fraud may have been a very, very small contributing factor," Bentele said, speaking more generally about voter restriction efforts. "But in general, these partisan and racial effects seem to be really, really strongly associated with this outcome."
Abstract of the paper.

Have I mentioned that I'm reading Albion's Seed?  Because *gobsmack city*.

3 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

I love that book! Although it was such a shock to learn my people were "back country" for real... especially the language patterns. It was amazing to read something so accurate! But damn, the dumbest/poorest of em all! I was hoping to be related to the Tidewater crowd, haha.

And I can't listen to Rod Stewart sing "Maggie I wished I'd never seen your face" without thinking of that book! He's a Scot, and that usage: "I wished I had a drink" (present tense) is something I grew up with... also "once" pronounced "onced" ... just so interesting to find out where all these quirks come from.

And the book confirms that back country women got treated the worst of all, so that is why we became the radical feminists. ;) FINALLY I have an explanation!

Daisy Deadhead said...

And Merry Christmas! Here is your present, officially the funniest video I've seen this year.

Shake it off, shake it off:

http://daisydeadhead.tumblr.com/post/69710426111/unfreshing-this-is-my-favorite-video-of-the

Love ya! :) Have a good 2014 too.

D. said...

You too!

*goes off to check out the tumblr post*