This isn’t a new revelation by any means — Rick Perlstein pretty much laid it out in The Long Con: Mail Order Conservatism — but I always assumed the con referred to a few leeches sucking off the system. There will always be some Glenn Beck types playing the rubes in Missouri and Tennessee, selling their snake oil and taking advantage of the gullible in flyover states. But I didn’t realize the whole fruit was rotten. I didn’t realize, until now, that the con is the point of the Republican Party. The Republican Party and all of its ancillary operations are simply mechanisms for making money. Again: end, full stop.When everyone and everything is for sale, scamsters will thrive because there's nothing of value outside of mere money, but if Moliére and Jonson did not convince modern people of the pitfalls of money-worship, surely I can't.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
The Long Con
Southern Beale has figured out the Republican Party:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment