- Kent State happened 42 years ago; Daisy has an essay up along with "Ohio" on YouTube for however long. Four died at Kent State; two died at Jackson State two weeks later. For a generation these two massacres were signposts on the road to The Government Lies To You (along with Cambodia, the Vietnam War in general, Watergate, the Iran-Contra affair, and the run-up to the war in Iraq). That still does not mean I believe libertarian promises, though.
- Caryn Rose reviews Bruce Springsteen in Newark, NJ (she's reviewing various nights of the Wrecking Ball tour); I had heard somewhere that he was performing "41 Shots," but it hasn't been namechecked in the reviews I've seen.
- Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys died. (First link is Caryn Rose's farewell; second link is NYTimes.)
- I finally put Mercury Rising on my blogroll last week and I'm glad I did. Have a sample of "Excerpts of How to Speak Republican:"
Medicare: A fraudulent, socialistic boondoggle that is sacrosanct.
- Jesse Curtis on real equal opportunity:
Now, I'm not sure that there is any significant group in America that literally believes in equal opportunity. But liberals do want to get a little closer to a literal expression of it, while conservatives are generally content to maintain opportunity in a symbolic sense. To be fair, this isn't necessarily as horrible as it sounds. As Waldman says, creating equal opportunity actually is a radical idea, and there would be tradeoffs associated with it. Conservatives do not believe those tradeoffs are worth it. That's actually quite reasonable.
"My hovercraft is full of eels." Political (Monty) Pythonist and baseball fanatic. Other matters as inappropriate.
Friday, May 4, 2012
42 Years, 41 Shots, 21 Guns and Enough Allusions to Say "Huh?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment