Friday, July 30, 2010

Readings

  1. Jurassicpork says the terrorists have won, and he's not talking about al-Qaeda;
  2. The Mills River Progressive points to an article from the blog No Corporate Rule; we're in hock and guess who holds the markers?
  3. There's an oil spill in Michigan, and it smells toxic (via flip flopping joy);
  4. Echidne reprints her essay on popularizing research through the media;
  5. Brilliant at Breakfast has video of Rep. Anthony Weiner verbally eviscerating his opponents on the subject of health care for those working at the World Trade Center site after 9/11 and breathing toxic particles;
  6. Prof Susurro on the peculiar relationship of volunteer labor in non-profit organizations.

2 comments:

lisahgolden said...

Number 6 makes me heartsick. While I worked in the not-for-profit field for 20 years, it wasn't social services. I worked with volunteers in a professional capacity - they were members of the trade associations and professional development organizations that employed me. I would never have dreamed of abusing volunteers. And of course, the bigger story here is that this blows the hell out of the lie that we can privatize all services, that through churches and not-for-profits, we can do better, that government is never the answer.

D. said...

Oh yeah.

(Although I think the culture of the non-profit depends on the non-profit. Some are not crony-ridden or someone's mini-fiefdom.)