Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why Movies Are Crap

Week before last, I picked up some DVDs because well, sometimes it helps, and I hadn't seen The Mask since whenever it came out.  (It's blessedly short.)  Some store had a 3-for-20 dollar sale so I also got Blazing Saddles (wheee!) and the first Austin Powers flick (the other two weren't funny.  Sorry).

Of course Jim Carrey's character when in the mask is a Trickster figure.  Got that.  It's just...Jim Carrey is a little too good-looking to be a believable schlemiel.

But most of what else was on sale at that store was dreck.  Detritus.  Flotsam.  To use the technical term, junk.

One of the reasons for this situation is simply Sturgeon's Law.  


Companion piece for deeper understanding. Which contains the terrific statement:
Even more frightening is the prospect of letting into the industry people who don’t have a beef against women. Because you know what other traits non-bigots tend to share? Intelligence and self-confidence.

-- Hathor Legacy, via Echidne of the Snakes, via Avedon Carol.  Because sometimes I have that taint myself.

No comments: